US based non-profit organisation created in 2010, their goal is to help communities to revitalise their neighborhood, make it safer, walkable, more vibrant by implementing underused public spaces, creating gathering and enjoyable spaces, etc..
Who Are they?
Better Block Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that educates, equips, and empowers communities and their leaders to reshape and reactivate built environments to promote the growth of healthy and vibrant neighborhoods.
Better Block focuses on six major activities:
- Develop open-source media to help cities, community groups, and emerging leaders create rapid prototyping in the service of creative placemaking and support of public life
- Create opportunities for communities and their existing and emerging leaders to gain exposure to and training from urban planning experts, civic innovators and architects from around the world through global symposiums
- Facilitate community engagement though input and information, employing charrettes, neighborhood meeting and workshops with residents, stakeholders and governments about the value of rapid prototyping to enhance public life
- Host and organize study tours to benchmark successful examples of sustainable initiatives around the world
- Create new and improve existing modeling tools though experimentation with innovative technologies and scientific solutions
- Create mentorship programs for emerging leaders and young urbanists
From the About section of their site